OK... to give some more specifics,
Our last configuration was on a Dell Poweredge 2900 running windows server 2003.
When we migrated, we did so to a Poweredge R430 running windows server 2012, with Server 2008 running on Hyper-v.
So its running live on a virtual machine now on newer hardware, running on a newer server. We thought maybe it had something to do running on a virtual.
So i went and set up a few test servers (after the fact of course), I started with Windows server 2008 standard on a Dell Poweredge R320, just as is with no upgrades to the drivers or the server OS.... and slowly upgraded from there with no change.
Then I set up another server 2008 standard on the old poweredge 2900 (which was our first server, running 2003). And i did the same thing, Started off out of the box install and slowly upgraded. No luck.
The only thing i found so far to increase speed is leaving OpLocks enabled, which I've been told can cause database corruption.
So I'm at a bit of a lose as to where to go next.
Someone just sent me (literally) a few articles on SMB message block size that i am going to look into.